Did you know there's a right way and a wrong way to sing "Wheels on the Bus?" Well, according to Sophie, I do a pretty poor job at singing most pre-school songs. It is hard to keep these two entertained without feeling tempted to just turn on the T.V. and pop in a DVD. And trust me, I've had those days....
Today, for instance, we are busy singing songs, playing Simon Says (which Sophie bosses me around with as well saying things like, "Mommy, say Simon Says 'dance like a ballerina.' To which, of course, I comply.), playing blocks, dancing, etc. As we are attempting to teach Noah songs, Sophie keeps interrupting me....
"No Mommy, Mrs. Tetzloff (her teacher) does the wipers on the windows like this (she shows the slightest variation from the way I do it)." Oh, okay. And then I go on and she says, "Mommy, why does the driver on the bus say 'move on back?'" I answer her correctly and she says, "That's right Mommy! That's exactly right!" Thanks Sophie, I needed the positive reinforcement, now can we just sing the song??! And on and on and on goes our morning. According to Sophie, my 'Wheels on the Bus' song could use some improvement, I don't know how to properly bonk my head when a monkey falls off of the bed.....let's see, what else did she criticize.....oh yeah, my rendition of Twinkle Twinkle could be a little more animated.
She has also started bossing people around with her hands on her hips. Just minutes ago she gave me a very mean and snobby reaction (hands on hips with a smirk) when I told her she couldn't have any M&Ms. So, she has been sent to her room so Mommy can take a breather.....and blog about it. I also just popped some M&Ms in my mouth....I can be very passive aggressive.
5 comments:
I am DYING- this is the best. I am sorry you stink at nursery rhymes, you obviously didn't take that class at OSU...Naomi thinks that she OWNS the rights to every song and when someone tries to sing HER songs she says "NO! THAT'S MY SONG!!" Oh really, where are our royalties then??? Show me the money...
Take comfort that in 14 yrs, she will be leading the crowd and not following it. Until then, make sure you get those songs right, continue passive agressive behavior and get to the spa as often as possible.
Hilarious! I can just see her standing there with her hands on her hips. I think my favorite sentence of the entire post is the last one....its like you are hanging on to one last little thread of control
of course there is a right way to everything...singing songs, reading books, pouring cereal, putting their clothes on, etc... get with it mommy!
Spoken like a true trained professional in behavior motification......M&Ms work for potty training as well as parental soothing! Skinner would be proud!
Post a Comment