Monday, April 30, 2007

Funny How Things Change

I vividly remember when Tim and I used to discuss the dreams and plans we had for our future children. Particularly when Sophie was growing inside of me, we would talk about the things she would like, the places she would enjoy, and the personality she would take on. Little did we know how insignificant this would be after our children were actually born.

Before, we used to joke (in a very serious kind of way) how devastated we would be if our kids decided not to go to Ohio State. We would talk about how it would totally suck if our kids were more into soccer rather than baseball and softball. I'd silently pray my kids didn't inherit my horrible eyesight (maybe I still do that) and I hoped my children wouldn't throw a fit when I insisted they study some form of art. But, once they finally entered our lives our priorities and values shifted. Yes, we still place a very high value in obtaining an education, but we're okay if they choose to obtain it somewhere other than Ohio State. Yeah, it would be fantastic if our kids shared our love for baseball/softball, but if soccer or volleyball is their sport of choice, then we'll still be there to cheer them on. And if they just aren't artistically or musically inclined, that's okay too....maybe they can at least learn to appreciate it.

I think we've learned how important it is to pass on our values and beliefs, but that these values and beliefs can be expressed and lived in so many different ways.

1 comment:

The Monroes said...

This is so true. I think that if we raise good people, we have succeeded as parents!