Friday, April 20, 2007

Daddy the Disciplinarian

For those of you who know Tim really well, you would understand why it can be difficult to take him seriously sometimes. I definitely know when he's serious and when he's joking, but Sophie is still trying to figure it out. So, we're in the car and Tim and I are desperately trying to have an adult conversation and Sophie feels the need to always interrupt, grab our attention, yell our names over and over until we respond. When we're quiet, she'll be quiet and happily look out the window. It's like the second we start conversing, she has to throw in her two cents. Anyway, after doing our very best to ignore, Tim finally turns around and tells Sophie to please be quiet because he is talking to Mommy. Sophie, as usual, finds this option to be unacceptable and continues to yell and scream for our attention. Tim turns around several more times to tell her to be quiet or she will serve a time-out when we get home. He might as well have been singing his ABC's the way she was listening to us. For the last time, Tim turns around and says very sternly but not yelling, "YOU NEED TO BE QUIET." To which Sophie replies just as seriously, "I'll NEVER be quiet, Daddy."

Meanwhile, I am sitting up front and refuse to turn around because I'm laughing so hard. I'm trying my best to be supportive of Daddy's role and be as serious as possible and the best way I could do this was to just face forward and keep my shoulders from shaking because I can't stop laughing. Of course, Sophie figures it out because I'm out of control at this point and she says, "What's so funny?" And of course, she starts laughing. I guess there are some drawbacks to being Mr. Funny all the time!!! I forgave myself (quite easily) after this incident for not presenting a unified front since Sophie usually believes Daddy can do no wrong!

5 comments:

The Monroes said...

I wonder where Sophie gets her strong disposition??? She will NEVER be quiet.. hmmm sounds vaguely familiar.
Tell Tim, not EVERYONE thinks he is funny, but it is most important that his family does! J/K Tim, you ARE funny!

The Scotts said...

Ok...Dying laughing. I can only imagine. Ok, I think Tim is hilariuos, I'm his best audience.

The Wright's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wright's said...

Sounds to me like you're going to have two Tim's in the house! I used to laugh at Tim all the time and screw up Lori's discipline of him. Of course I didn't hide my laughter because I didn't want anyone disciplining my sweet nephew who could do no wrong! I'll bet Lori is getting a kick out of this blog. God has His own form of revenge and it looks like payback time for Tim! All those years of getting off the hook because Aunt Cricket laughed are going to bite him in the butt!

Alexis said...

I can only imagine sitting in your seat Cheryl doing the same thing. I have been there. The look on their faces when they know they are in trouble is priceless.