Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Don't Look Too Long, It's Gross

As you can see in the beautiful picture, Tim sprained his ankle pretty severely during a slow-pitch softball game last week. It's still really swollen, as you can see, but it's finally starting to bruise on the bottom. The doctor thought it was broken, but thankfully, it is not. Forget Tim, I'm not sure how I would cope if he ended up on crutches for 6 weeks! It's hard enough being the "go fetch" girl for Noah and Sophie, I can't deal if Tim is added to the mix!

Anyway, since Tim is injured, I have had the pleasure of taking care of some outdoor tasks, including mowing the lawn. I understand our yard isn't that large (however, by California standards it's huge!) and I don't have any hills to contend with, but it was definitely an experience. It took me three times as long to mow the lawn because I refused to attempt any speed higher than 1; I was very much content with a nice slow pace. I've realized I could never ever work for Tim because banana lines probably wouldn't go over well on a golf course. Tim didn't seem to care and was just happy I was okay with actually tackling this chore.

Tim and I learned two things when we moved to California. 1) Nobody out here mows their own lawn and 2) Nobody out here washes their own car. I know I'm making a huge generalization about an entire state, but I'm not kidding when I say I can probably count on one hand the number of people that actually do these tasks on their own. And these "people" I'm talking about usually are not from here originally....they've either just moved or are transplants and refuse to give in. I am really not judging either party and understand the convenience of having someone else help with these tasks. And maybe, just maybe, I've given in to #2. I don't think Tim will ever let anyone else take care of his lawn, so I think we're safe in this department. Besides, nobody else could do a better job! Anyway, I did it and I wouldn't mind doing it again...there, I said it. Actually, taking care of the outside seems kind of fun compared to laundry, cooking, vacuuming, dusting, bathroom cleaning, etc. But, I think Tim is too smart and would never trade!

7 comments:

caxline said...

Not us, we don't "outsource" anything - Matt mows the land, washes his car and we clean our own house!!!

cpy said...

For the record, it was a stand-up double, but I didn't get to "stand up" on second base.--Tim

The Wright's said...

Such a beautiful foot. Please send more!

The Scotts said...

Ok...so I'm the typical Californian. I don't mow my lawn or wash my car. LOL...

The Monroes said...

I love mowing the lawn because that means I am ALONE>>> But I do not wash my own car, I am too short (or so I say). And Tim, did the base move on that stand up double?

Alexis said...

Mow the lawn. You mean you can see your lawn? I didn't know if our grass was green for the past 6 months.

Alexis said...

Mow the lawn. You mean you can see your lawn? I didn't know if our grass was green for the past 6 months.