Sunday, December 31, 2006

Sophie and potty training: Chapter One

Last night, Sophie was getting ready to poop in her diaper. We're having difficulty getting her to sit on the toilet to poop and last night was no different. Basically, candy is no longer an incentive for her. Not that it ever really worked anyway. I think she's seriously hip to our game and doesn't feel like playing anymore.

She tells us she has to poop. To which we reply, "Let's sit on the toilet and go poopy! Come on!!" To which she refuses. Tim then follows up with, "If you sit on the toilet and go poop, I'll give yoooouuuuu........"

And Sophie interrupts with such great comedic timing and says, "WHAT. M&Ms? No." She proceeds to walk away to a secluded location and finish her poop in peace.

This potty training thing can be such a letdown. At first, they are so excited and love the idea of transitioning to the big kid toilet. And then, slowly but surely, they regress and decide to mess with your mind. I'm convinced Sophie could be fully potty trained in a day, but she's in control and knows it. My theory, I understand, would make one assume my daughter is manipulative and has me wrapped around her little finger.....as her mother, my twisted view of it sees the rare intelligence and geniusness behind it.

Who knows. I'm sure there will be more potty training stories in the future, as our journey has just begun.

No comments: