Saturday, November 15, 2008

I can't make this stuff up....

Tim and I are often in awe of DNA, especially when our children prove to us that certain things just can't be taught. Sophie seems to be a little too much like me and I'm not so sure how Tim feels about this! Tim and Sophie were in the car today and she told her Daddy that she was thirsty. Tim proceeded to give her a bottle of water. Sophie took one look at the water, noticed it was half gone and asked Daddy if he had a drink from it (yes, most of you know where this is going and unfortunately, so did Tim). After responding with a slow and skeptical, "Yeessss," Sophie gave the bottle of water back and told him she was no longer thirsty.

We've been noticing similar behavior lately and neither of us chose to point it out and decided to chalk it up to coincidence, but the evidence has slowly been stacking up against us. She refuses to share her beverages with anyone and also refuses to drink out of anyone else's cup. She won't allow different foods on her plate to touch each other and sharing anything that anyone has pretty much touched recently or ever for that matter, means it's off limits to her. I'm not even kidding about this....and for her sake, I'm not even going to fight her. I think Tim wants to break this cycle, but being the germaphobe that I am (is that a word?), I'm willing to let it slide for both our sakes!

BTW---I still can't do it. I have lied to friends and have said there will be a day when I might share a beverage with them, but that day never came. And let's be honest here....it never will. Tim's still waiting to share a bottle of water with me and on the rarest occasions (i.e. I'm choking) I might take a sip. I know....I'm weird.

4 comments:

The Wright's said...

I'm one up on you. As a child, Sophie's age, I did not share food or beverages, food could not touch on the plate, and get this, I would have an extra set of silverware in the bathroom. After I ate something with my fork, I'd go to the bathroom, clean the fork, take the extra one and let the clean one drain, go back to the table eat something else, maybe this time with a spoon, then start the process all over. I did this through the entire meal. Granny and Bubba just laughed every time I got up - (I thought they didn't know what I was doing!)

The Monroes said...

See it is not your fault, it is built in to your DNA...nothing you can do about that. Now Sophie can blame you for her entire life, it is not HER fault either! Hilarious.

OSU 98 said...

Laughing my you know what off here in Columbus on Monday morning. Be sure to include this in the manual, please.

Alexis said...

Hilarious. I cannot stop laughing right now. Like mother like daughter. It really is funny to see what these kids inherit from us.