Monday, July 30, 2007

Sophie and Public Restrooms

I am very thankful Sophie is fully potty trained but I completely dread trips to public restrooms. It seems to terrify Sophie just as much, but because she's still small, she could easily fall in if she doesn't have something to hold on to. Well, that something is my neck, and she wraps her arms around it with a death grip. She can't just hold my hand, she seriously needs me at eye level with her arms around my head/neck. I used to carry around one of those fold up toilet seats that fit over the toilet, but with two kids in tow, I try my best to limit the amount of crap I carry with me. So, after I've sprayed down the area with bleach and Sophie is sitting on the potty I am squatting down in the tiny stall with my head way too close to the toilet because Sophie needs to hold on to me while she does her business. I'm busy telling Sophie to hurry up while I am thinking of ways to make everything more sanitary (like how much protection do these ultra thin translucent toilet protectors really offer? How can we make them better?). I thought things were supposed to be easier when they're potty trained?

I have to give her credit because she has done exceptionally well with this whole process. She hasn't worn diapers in forever and hasn't had an accident at night in several weeks. Of course, now that I've documented this and knowing my luck, she will regress and have an accident tonight! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

4 comments:

The Scotts said...

I can just picture the two of you in the stall! Gross, but hilarious!

The Monroes said...

Seriously, the visual on this is hilarious...

OSU 98 said...

As a non parent, it had not occured to me that size did indeed matter when it comes to the loo. Poor thing, who can blame her about being afraid of falling in??

Alexis said...

I still love diapers for this very reason.