Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Nothing is Easy

I decided to try out my skills with some filipino desserts, which therefore required a trip to the Asian market. Usually, it is ridiculously busy with people who freely ram their carts into you if you don't get out of their way. Thankfully, today was not so busy and I thought it would make my trip swift and event-free. Silly me, why would I think such a thing having two kids under the age of three alongside me and without a shopping cart or stroller? First, it was raining...in July. It doesn't rain here ever during the summer months, but today, it's practically a downpour. Once I get Noah tucked in my Baby Bjorn and a blanket over him so he doesn't melt in the rain, I get Sophie out and we run into the store. Now mind you, I don't frequent the Asian market, especially without my mom. But today, I was feeling brave and competent. Again, another thought gone awry. Sophie is running around like she was just released from the cage she was locked in for five days. Everything I grab off the shelf, Noah feels the need to help himself to as well, pretending like it's Supermarket Sweep. Meanwhile, I don't know where anything is and I had to call my mom twice to give me specific directions (What color is the can? What aisle do you think it would be in? Is it in powdered or liquid form?).

So, after roaming aimlessly around the store for a good 45 minutes, we were finally done. We get to the checkout line to pay and one of the items is opened (jelly beans, because bribery was necessary in this situation) and just as I tell the guy, "The package is open, be care-....," he grabs it and all the jelly beans fly out everywhere. Awesome....the rest of the time he's giving me the evil eye and as I'm trying to pay with my debit card, I keep having to press clear because I'll get two numbers pressed and Noah will slap his hand on top of it and mess it up. I can only imagine how annoyed the lady was behind me. Finally, I think we're in the clear and Noah decides to latch onto the little coin thingy that spits out change. I had to pry his hands off it, all the while everyone is now looking at me wondering why I can't control my own children. We run out, get drenched again by the rain and finally into the car. What I thought would be a quick trip to the market ended up being a huge debacle. Most days, we run several errands without a hitch, but today was one of those days when everything went wrong! Anyway, they seriously need to invent drive-thru supermarkets.

2 comments:

The Monroes said...

That is a million dollar idea! I am sure you will have a billion other mom's that want to invest in this drive through grocery store. Or we need valets for your groceries.. you hand them a list (because most moms have one, it is just trying to complete it before meltdown mode!) after an extensive training program on what you CAN buy generic and what you CANNOT...then you hand them the list and they are off, while mommy and kids watch a good dvd in the car until the groceries are brought back out to you.

Alexis said...

I think I've received those looks before myself. Why is it that we turn as red as a tomato and feel like everyone has an evil eye when our children decide to act up as if they've never been out in public before.