It is unfortunate my daughter has me for a role model sometimes. The fact that the hair on my own head has a way of making me jump a mile because I often mistake a strand of hair for some deadly bug ready to attack my insides. I can't help it; I'm jumpy. I don't like bugs, never have, never will. I have no qualms about waking Tim up from a dead sleep to kill a bug on the wall. If I'm home alone and I come face to face with a critter, I don't just grab a tissue to get rid of it, I opt for Tim's size 13 shoe or a 33 inch bat, whichever is handy at the moment. People that grab jars to "capture" these bugs and then find a new safe habitat for these creatures because they don't believe in harming them need not be friends with people like me. One time a bee flew into my car and I almost drove myself and three of my friends off a cliff. Makes sense, right? Get stung by a bee or drive off cliff....I'm crazy, I know. But give me a break....I didn't grow up on a farm, I grew up in the desert where bugs can barely survive, and I don't have any brothers who tortured me and desensitized my fears.
Anyway, Sophie has inherited this debilitating illness from me. She is preoccupied by every bug in the backyard, squeals when one gets too close to her face, often takes the scenic route to avoid a bug, pretty much copies my model behavior. Although I'm glad she's not the kid who eats worms and picks up creepy crawlers like they're actually cute, I wish she wasn't so grossed out by it. These creatures, I suppose, should be appreciated as well. Unfortunately, she just can't look to me as a role model in this department!
5 comments:
I feel you pain! When my brother was living with me on Portland, I regularly screamed at him to come up from the basement to my second story bedroom to kill whatever i saw!
I love this, Cheryl's little mini me!
Looks like Noah better learn how to pick up a bat or shoe sometime soon, so he too can protect you ladies!
Ok...this story sounds like my husband. Hopefully Miles won't be afraid and he can kill the bugs for the Scott household!
Sounds like me. I once had a bug crawl into my ear in the middle of the night and boy that was the most frightening thing ever. I didn't know how I'd ever get it out. It felt like it was monsterous.
This reminds me of a story my mom told me about John & Tim. When they were real young, they, along with their parents went to my parent's summer place in the Pymatuming State Park area. Mike, Tim's dad decided to take the boys fishing - I believe it was their first time ever - and they were very young. Anyway, they decided they did not want anything to do with fishing. Mike was catching fish and putting them in a bucket. John & Tim would lean over the bucket and giggle and say "hi fishies!" One of the fish would jump and the boys were off running & screaming. Heart breaking to my brother-in-law the great outdoorsman.
So, Tim wasn't always so brave with little creatures - just keep that in mind! Besides, I think it is in the Bible that women and girls do not have to like creapy crawly anythings! If it isn't, it should be! Aunt Cricket
Post a Comment