Ever since Sophie turned four, Tim and I have used it as leverage to help her take some responsibility and learn new skills. Unfortunately, it's only been twelve days and Sophie is ready to regress and take a step back to the good 'ol threes. I think "overkill" is the appropriate word to use in this case as Tim and I have used it for pretty much EVERYTHING. A few examples:
"Sophie, 4-year-olds no longer take baths and learn to take showers. Would you like to try tonight?" --This backfired as Sophie went to school the next day and polled her entire class. She returned home and reported that none of her classmates take showers; they still take baths. Good for them....and us.
"Sophie, 4-year-olds eat all of their dinner. You're four now, don't you want to grow big and strong?" --This didn't work when she was three, or two, or ever for that matter. We still struggle with the whole eating dinner thing.
"Sophie, 4-year-olds clean up their toys without complaining." --She's catching on. Four just isn't all it's cracked up to be and she's having second thoughts about this whole birthday business.
"Sophie, 4-year-olds don't whine and cry. Can you please stop and show me what a big girl you are?" --Complete breakdown mode. We've pushed the limit and she's so over being four.
Sophie responds by saying, "I DON'T WANT TO BE FOUR ANYMORE! I WANT TO BE THREE AGAIN!!!"
So far, the fours are treating us fabulously!!! (gulp...)
3 comments:
Just tell her about being 5, and how they go out and get a job to support their parents, and how they also are expected to make their OWN bed everyday and cook dinner every night, THEN she will not think 4 is so bad! Oh and I love how she asked her friends about the bath thing, something tells me you guys will not be able to get away with much with Sophie! Can we start using Santa yet as bribery??
Tell her auntie Jen doesn't want to be 30-something anymore either!
How many four year olds are going to know how to even poll their preschool class. Very impressive Sophie. You are so smart. I'm with your auntie Jen and I don't want to be 30 something anymore either. I felt so much younger and further away from 40 as I do now.
Post a Comment