Pianos are heavy. Just thought I'd make that fact known in case people out there had any doubts. Tim and I had the pleasure of moving one this afternoon and thankfully I survived to tell the story. I practically got this piano for free (thank you craigslist), so there was no way I was going to pay $300 to have someone move it. Apparently, I'd rather suffer physically than pay the dough for someone to move it.
Anyway, Tim was secretly worried about this move, so he went to the store and purchased these. Let me just say this experience looked nothing like the happy people in the pictures. Tim kept telling me I was doing it wrong, holding it wrong, lifting it wrong.....everything I did was wrong, wrong, wrong. Perhaps he forgot to consider the fact that I am NOT the Incredible Hulk. Numerous times I had to remind him that "pianos are heavy" and not meant to be lifted. Even the "Forearm Forklifts" are not going to do the job. Tim thought they were helpful and even threw out the word "easy." Mind you while he was lifting the piano up the stairs with relative ease, I was on the other end imagining what it's going to be like with two broken arms for the next two months. I was also thinking of at least 10 of Tim's friends who would have happily helped him move this thing. Seriously though, the commentary between the two of us during any moving experience is worthy of a live studio audience. Needless to say (or maybe it isn't), the piano made it into the house in one piece and the kids were excited to try it out!
Here it is.....no, it's not a grand piano......but YOU try lifting it!
5 comments:
Awesome, I love craig's list...just got a desk for Naomi off there for 15 bucks...crazy!
Seriously, those forearm forklifts look like they make EVERYTHING easy:) eevryone seems so happy to be moving..
I would have made 2 phone calls - one to one of Tim's friends and one to a local pizza shop for after they moved it. I am thinking of moving the slate coffee table during Chelsie's recovery so the 42 inch crate can go in the living room...and hoping to bribe Brandon Schwartz and James Tucker, both of whom will be at my house this evening, to do so.
I think it's wonderful that Noah and Sophia will grow up with a piano in the house. I had one growing up, and even though I never took formal lessons, it was fun to play with. I hope they enjoy it!
This moves sounds like the adventures George and I have. He forgets he's almost a foot taller than me and I have a bad back and two artificial knees! Men can never figure out why our arms can't reach as far as theirs! Have they ever looked in a mirror?
Tell the kids I'll sing while they play piano next time I visit! I'm sure that will make Tim want me to visit real soon!
I must say that Sophia already looks like a pro sitting at the piano with her perfect posture!
Post a Comment