Friday, February 13, 2009

Black Friday....kinda

After work, Tim and I had to run some errands and started our afternoon at Target. We had a few things to pick up and figured we could get in and out of there fairly quickly. On top of things, it was raining and I dressed the children as if it was a sunny spring day. After getting in the store and picking up some $1 items to keep the kids busy in the extra large cart I had, we made our way through and started to tackle our small list. Just as we hit the very back corner of the store, the power goes off.....lights and everything....in Target. It is completely pitch black; I can't even see my hand in front of me. Thank goodness I was fairly close to Tim and the kids so we were together during the blackout. It was the weirdest thing as nobody seemed to panic (except me) and it became extremely quiet when everything went dark, despite the fact there were many people in the store.

I'm a little nervous and tell the kids, "It's okay, just stay calm." To which Tim replied, "We are calm. YOU need to stay calm." We figured the generator would turn on and we'd be fine, but nope....we sat for a good five minutes and it was still pitch black dark in freaking Target. Before long, everyone had their cell phones out, using them as flashlights, and here I am leading the family with my iphone through the aisles of dark Target. Finally, I tell Tim we are leaving and abandon our cart.

As we are heading out, Tim and I notice there's some activity in the front of the store. I kid you not, somehow the cash registers are powered and working....AND PEOPLE ARE CHECKING OUT IN THE DARK. Seriously? You can't figure out how to turn on the generator or emergency lights in a totally unsafe situation, but you'll still find a way to take our money?! As we are heading out, the manager is yelling, "If you would like to purchase your items the cash registers are up and running!!" Thanks guy....thanks.

3 comments:

caxline said...

i admit, i would have tried to check out. you are already there, items in cart, kids entertained...the chances of that happening again...

The Monroes said...

It is a good thing for the iphone/flashlight, see it is an investment! I love that the registers are on a back-up power source but the lighting is not, priorities! PS- I would have freaked out...and scared everyone around me.

Alexis said...

They always find ways to still make money....even when no one can see to pick out what to buy. It may be a good time to try and slide a $10 instead of a $20. Just kidding...I wouldn't think of doing that.