We were driving around the other day and I noticed one of the elementary schools had a sign that said, "Kindergarten Registration: Pick up your packets now!" Not only did this sign scare the crap out of me, it also managed to tick me off. Really? Are you asking me to prepare for next school year in JANUARY? I realize I am also employed by this district, but seriously, how am I supposed to mentally prepare for my first child to enter Kindergarten NOW? I've been dreading this day since the moment the doctor placed her in my arms and now they just nonchalantly place a sign in front of the school telling me the time has arrived. No warning, no easing my way into it, no sessions of therapy to help me cope.
Forget the fact that my child is in love with school and completely ready; I'm not ready and that is what this issue is really about! I checked with her elementary school and it seems they will start this "packet" business in a few weeks. Great....turn the faucet on now. I think I need a support group.
5 comments:
call me...I will be in your support group. I am dreading kindergarten too. I can barely talk about it without crying. you think if we don't register that CPS will haul us away???
I feel your pain, Cheryl, it's nearly 34 years old and still as fresh as if it happened yesterday. Watching my curly headed little boy grab hold of the railing as he pulled himself up onto the first step of the school bus. It was all I could do to keep from telling them he would have to wait another year...he's still too little!
I will be your support also- maybe we can web school them altogether? Naomi will just be doing preschool (registration in Feb...the waiting kind) but I am already a little scared too. OR you could always remove that sign and say you didn't even know about it...
Is Sophie really ready for Kindergarten already???? I feel your pain. She's such a big girl.
Post a Comment