The past few nights we've been glued to the news regarding the fires in southern California. We have many friends in the area and it seems each of them have been affected somehow by the devastation. Living in Reno most of my life, we never really made it through a summer without some sort of threatening and devastating fire, a few coming very close to our home. Seeing the hundreds of thousands of people displaced is both sad and frightening, causing me to look at my own family's emergency plan.
One may consider my concern with our emergency plan more of an obsession, but having two young children, I'm totally at peace with being labeled obsessed!! My friend recommended a great website, www.72hours.org, and I started the process of packing away essential items, making lists of important numbers, creating a "Go Bag," and going over information about what to do if we experience an earthquake. I thought Tim would make fun of me that I'm doing all of this, but he was very supportive and helpful in the process.
Experiences like this certainly provide a lot of perspective. We continue to pray for those displaced and the courageous firefighters battling the blazes down south.
3 comments:
I do not think you are crazy about the emergency plan. I too have been glued to the internet and wondering if Candace and Kelli are safe. I am right with you on emergency planning - it is at the top of the list when I return home (work travel).
I too get obsessed with thoughts of what to do "if" situations. That is a great site, thanks for sharing. There is no down side to being prepared. With so many friends in California the sense of urgency is really hitting home.
I absolutely hear you! This was a big reality check for me. Thanks for the website, I'll have to check it out!
Post a Comment