First, the preface. I am most definitely a big Buckeye fan and cheer them on with great pride every single Saturday during football season. Also a fan of Buckeye basketball as well. I don't even mind sporting a little red on Saturdays too. No problem; triple enjoy it.
Why, however, has the NFL and other outlets (cbssportsline, I'm talking to you) decided to throw in Fantasy Football as well? And why does everyone I know out there belong to a league? Tim is involved in a league with his buddies in Ohio, his co-workers here, and God knows who else. And then there's the league at my school that I am not involved with, but yet every single male on campus is. I remember when football was limited to Sundays. And then there was the one Monday night football game. Now, football (whether college or pro) pretty much begins on Thursday and doesn't end until Tuesday. I need to identify the geniuses behind this money-making scheme. It's not about cheering on a team anymore; it's about making sure your kicker gets a certain amount of field goals and making sure your quarterback throws to this receiver for this many yards so that you can earn so many points.
All I know is Sophie and I are sick of football season already....she's boycotted her Buckeye jersey. She tells her Daddy adamantly, "No more football!!" It's no longer about going to Sportscenter to get the highlights on the games. Now it's about earning points for every play, every down, during every quarter. Uggghhhh! Maybe I don't understand the addiction or maybe I just don't care. Maybe I just want to watch a football game to just enjoy a football game? How about that? Whatever the case, I loathe Fantasy Football.
8 comments:
I was in total agreement - last year. This is my first year playing fantasy - totally addicting and I don't even like professional football. We've got three leagues in our house and the hardest part...keeping up the trash talk!
You failed to mention that I am "The Commissioner"...a person that is highly regarded in the fantasy football world. My fantasy league in Ohio is the Muirfield league that is actually a "keeper league" and it has been going on for about 10 years. If anyone is still unsure as to what a "keeper league" is I would be more than happy to start my own blog.
I love (sarcastic) Thursday-Monday when Jeff tells me all the scenarios he needs to win- we need Tom Brady to throw 3 touchdowns, none of them to Randy Moss, but we need the Bills defense to score an offensive touchdown... blah blah blah, but I have to admit I watch his scores FOR him and fill him in, so now I am part of the addiction as well!
I have not been introduced to fantasy football yet which from what I can gain is a good thing. We are however in a football league where we just have to select the winning teams and then rank them to earn points. I guess it's kind of the same thing except I don't care about the stats. I only care about who wins and loses. It's much easier that way.
I am with you on this one - I do not understand the obsession. I guess I just like to watch the games for fun. Having to pay such close attention would take all the fun out of it. We actually had a work happy hour for the dept draft, and there is a big board posted at a staff cube with everyone's picks. No surprise, LT was the first man taken in our draft. Let me clarify I DID NOT participate.
What?! How can you not love fantasy football? I think it is great although it may lead to an minor heart attack due to the weekly high blood pressure I incure. It makes it more interesting when you want so badly for your team (i.e. the Broncos) to win a game in overtime yet at the same time are compelled to cheer for the defense, running back and wide receiver on the other team so that you can outscore your fantasy rival.
Seriously, it is an addiction. Carl is glued to the tv when it comes to football. I use my Sundays to shop, so I don't have to sit and watch it ALL day!
Okay, I have turned a blind eye to this fantasy world... I like to live in reality... However, this is the first year that my husband has been involved. Now normally he is quite composed while watching sporting events. Since he has involved himself in two leagues (?) He has become a raving kookoo bird... now he needs to get on the internet and check his points and he screams at the TV... is there a million dollar prize at the end of the rainbow that no one has told me about? Fantasy my ass....
Post a Comment