This whole St. Patrick's Day thing is a new experience for me. I really only knew it as a religious holiday, but never really practiced the different spirited traditions:
Friend: Where's your St. Patrick's Day spirit?
Me: I don't know. What is that?
Friend: What? You don't know St. Patrick's Day? Where's your green? I get to pinch you!
Me: (WTH!) Ouch! Do I look Irish to you?
The rest of my childhood included the celebration of this holiday not just in church, but also in school and NEVER forgetting to wear green. And then adulthood came and it typically meant gathering with friends for a frosty beverage or two. But now that my children have learned they do have a little bit of Irish in them, it is a celebrated holiday in our household. Unfortunately, I knew NOTHING about this holiday other than the obvious stuff. I have researched on Google, Wikipedia, Food Network, and have come to trust some of my fabulous Irish Facebook friends. Thank you, fabulous Irish Facebook friends....you have taught me well.
So, now we are waist deep in this holiday, even though Tim thinks I'm crazy because Sophie and Noah have as much Irish as Tim's big toe. Nonetheless, I am learning. Leprechaun trap has been made (thanks for your help, Nancy), green breakfast is in process, and green lunch is packed:
Green celery with ranch, grapes, green jell-o, green Gatorade, and green cookies for a treat....oh, and her turkey and cheese roll-ups that have maintained their natural color.
I will not be trashing the trap and laying leprechaun poop everywhere (sorry, not that advanced). But we shall celebrate this wonderful feast day and learn a little more about the many cultures that make up our family. It's been a fun process learning and seeing the excitement in my kids' faces certainly makes it all worth it!
4 comments:
Love it Cheryl...and for the record... you have officially out-celebrated the rest of the "partially irish" relatives in this one fail swoop!
For the record there is no Irish in our side of the family - we've got some Manx but no Irish! Also, I just heard about the pinching thing today for the very first time. We never pinched anyone if they didn't wear green on St. Paddy's day - thank God - I never wear green and I would hate to be pinched! The kids look adorable and I love the green lunch. You are certainly a good Mommy - and no - you don't look Irish.
Big Sissy, I normally defer to you on ALL family history but this one time when I think you are mistaken...at least I don't think you will convince me otherwise unless you tell me Grandma was mistaken too :-). You are correct that this area is part of England and the people English, but years back it was Irish. When I was in high school I had a discussion about it with Grandma--she had given me an old newspaper article about the Manxmen coming to the US, her family among them, and settling in Akron. The Isle of Man was been part of Ireland way back, the people Irish.
okay that is a cool lunch- nice work. Naomi wore a green shirt and that was the extent of our celebration, but this looks much more fun- maybe next year when she is in kindergarten!
Post a Comment