Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Moving on to First Grade

I can't believe I have already shifted from worrying about Kindergarten to now worrying about 1st grade! Sophie is nearing the end of her first year in school and it truly has been such a wonderful one. Her teacher asked all the parents to write a letter to their child, documenting their accomplishment and wishes for 1st grade. I tried my best to sum up her first year without getting too emotional.....I'm happy to share this wonderful milestone:


Dear Sophie,


We are beaming with pride when we think about your amazing year as a kindergartener! We knew from the very beginning that you would flourish and make wonderful new friends, show excitement about learning, and love your kindergarten teacher! We talked for so long about what it would be like in kindergarten and how special it would be. You were most excited about learning how to read. This was the one skill you couldn't wait to master and when we picked you up from school on that very first day, one of the first things you said was, "You said I was going to learn how to read and I didn't!" Well, look at you now! We can only hope you continue to have the same love and enthusiasm for learning as you move forward in school.


As the school year was underway, we quickly learned how much you truly care about friendship. You are a loyal, sweet, and kind friend to others. We are so proud of the way you have made connections with your classmates and the excitement you show when sharing your fun experiences with each of them. Sometimes you asked how to deal with certain situations and we had great talks about what it means to be a friend. You have shown us, in such a short amount of time, just how lucky your friends are to have you. As you move on to 1st grade, we hope you continue to nurture these wonderful friendships and develop even more as you meet new classmates.


First grade is going to be a very special year for you, just like kindergarten has been! We already love how you can't stop talking about what it's going to be like! You have a countdown for the end of this school year, beginning of next school year, and your birthday in September! We keep trying to remind you that there are a whole lot of days in between that are waiting for you to enjoy and experience. If there's one thing Daddy and I wish for you as you enter first grade, it is for you to just enjoy being a first grader. It is such a meaningful year filled with lots of new firsts that we don't want you to have to worry about what comes next. As always, we will be there to cheer you on, guide you, and love you. Great job, Sophie! We are all so proud of you!


Love,
Daddy, Mommy, and Noah

4 comments:

john said...

I was looking through some old boxes and found the letter Tim got from Dad. Just thought I'd share....."Tim you got too many s- and u's. A little less playing grabass with the Senhenn kid and a little more practice staying in the lines while coloring, MAD DAD ps...which one of you two yardbirds left the basement light on all last night?"

the youngbergs said...

I can't stop laughing.....hilarious John.

Lori said...

Great letter, Cheryl! Brought tears to my eyes, as did John's reminiscing about Mad Dad's supposed letter to Tim...albeit for different reasons! I can't stop laughing either.

The Wright's said...

OMG! I can't stop laughing! How did Lori and Mike manage to get two boys who can so readily make people laugh?